Sunday, October 10, 2010

Wu-Tang Impresario RZA to direct Man with the Iron Fist

RZA
Rapper, producer, writer, and now director RZA (a/k/a Robert Diggs) launch the Wu-Tang empire in the early 1990s not only artistically but commercially, he branched out into other aspects of music-making, composed film scores, wrote a book of philosophy, and is now preparing to direct his first feature film, with no less than Russell Crowe starring in it. If that weren't enough, he interrupted pre-production in Shanghai on that film, titled The Man with the Iron Fist, to fly all of the way to Austin, TX, to present Hong Kong fight choreographer and filmmaker Yuen Woo-Ping a Lifetime Achievement Award at the 2010 Fantastic Fest.

I'm produced by Eli Roth, and he co-wrote it with me. He helped me write it into a format that Hollywood would understand, because I'm writing from my own ideas of kung fu movies, and certainly the western way of looking at films is different than the Asian way. So he helped me fix the little problems that I had, and then we took it into the studio, and they were like, "great script." Everybody appreciated what I did and they gave me an opportunity to go to work. And you know I've been mentored by [Quentin] Tarantino, and even why I'm here is thanks to Tarantino, because he introduced me to Tim and everybody, and beyond our friendship, I couldn't undertake this endeavor without really having him somehow involved.

 
We've got 12 weeks of pre-production and this is our first week. I leave next weekend, and I'm probably going to be stuck over there for 22 weeks, over in Shanghai.
 



"Wu-Tang vs. the Golden Phoenix" was my own independent film that I did myself, out of my own pocket. I put together close to half a million dollars and went for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment